For vehicle owners, some of the most frequent causes of auto body damage are thunderstorms and tropical systems. At First Aid Collison, we are here to help you protect your vehicle as best you can and provide repairs when it is caught in the storm. Here is what you need to know about storms and your car.
What Drivers Need to Know About Spring and Summer Storms
1) The Importance of Being Weather Aware
When you are driving in the mountains, you know the weather can change dramatically in a seemingly short amount of time. To protect yourself from driving in adverse weather and risking having your vehicle damaged, we cannot stress enough the importance of being weather aware:
- Have a battery-powered NOAA weather radio
- Follow local meteorologists on social media: Brad Panovich, Jason Boyer, AshevilleWX – Hunter Ward, and Chris Justus
- Storms can pop up out of nowhere, but some days lend themselves to that possibility more than others
- Have a weather app on your phone for key alerts
- If a tropical system or high winds are anticipated, park your vehicle away from large trees and dead limbs
Anticipating storms can save you a lot of money and protect you and your family from driving in terrible conditions.
2) Driving in Spring Storms and Tropical Systems
If you find that you must drive during stormy weather, practice these safe driving tips:
- Make sure your tires have plenty of tread
- Make sure your brakes are serviced
- Slow down, even during rain
- If your wipers are on, your lights should be on
- Increase your stopping distance
- Avoid driving across flooded roadways
- Watch for downed trees and power lines
If you find yourself driving during high wind or hail events, do everything you can to pull over somewhere safe, away from trees and power lines. Even if you cannot get shelter from hail, being parked is typically better than driving in it. If your vehicle is damaged by hail, we can help.
3) How Spring and Summer Storms Can Damage Your Vehicle
If your vehicle is caught in a tropical storm or spring thunderstorm, there are several ways damage can occur, including:
- Falling limbs and wind-driven debris
- Hail – large chunks of ice falling from the sky
- Fender-benders due to distractions and poor road conditions
- Flash flooding reaching your vehicle
Being weather-aware and practicing safe driving during weather events can go a long way toward reducing the chance of your car’s body begin damaged; however, even if you do everything right, you may eventually find it damaged from spring storms and summer tropical weather.
4) What to Do If Your Vehicle Has Been Damaged
It is not necessarily inevitable that your car will be impacted by debris or damaged by hail in Asheville but there is a good chance that at some point your vehicle will be the victim of body damage. Whether it’s a fallen limb, large hail, or a fender-bender that has dinged up your precious car, First Aid Collision is here to help. We can work with you through the process, even from the point of collision. If you must have your vehicle towed to our facility, we are conveniently located in Arden North Carolina, just 2 minutes from the Asheville Airport.
Once your car is here, you can take some time in the lobby to call your insurance company to provide us with a claim number, then we will get you scheduled for repair. If you do need us, we are just a phone call away, so contact us and we can get your car back on the road as good as new.