5 Easy Tips to Help Your Car Beat the Heat
Take these steps to keep your cool this summer:
- Complete Routine Maintenance. A stitch in time saves nine. When it comes to cars, an oil change in time saves…. Well, it saves a whole lot of money. Have your mechanic do a thorough going-over of your vehicle; any minor issues should be repaired before they turn into big problems - and possibly leave you stranded.
- Stay Hydrated. Keep sipping from your water bottle and remember to keep your car battery hydrated as well. High temperatures can shorten its life. Add distilled water to the battery, bringing the level just below the bottom of the cell inspection hole. DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT DISTILLED WATER!
It is also important to ensure that your coolant is topped off; this helps your radiator run efficiently and avoid overheating.
- Check Tire Pressure Regularly. Extreme heat can be dangerous as it increases the risk of tire failure. In fact, hot weather is much worse on them than cold weather, and they can build pressure and overheat relatively quickly. Make it a habit to check your tire pressure regularly. For example, give them a check every time you fuel up. This can help prevent blowouts and serious accidents.
- Check Your AC. You know it’s going to quit on the hottest day of the year! Before you head out onto the road, make sure the AC is working properly. If not, you can recharge it yourself or head to your mechanic for a servicing. In the south, air conditioning is not a luxury; it can be a lifesaver.
- Fix Summer Damage Fast. It’s hard to avoid dings, dents, scratches, and scrapes when you’re out and about in the summer. Especially if you’re taking those cooler backroads and winding mountain trails. If you do sustain minor damage, keep it from evolving into a massive headache by addressing the damage immediately. If the damage is not so minor, and you’ve been involved in a collision, we are happy to work with you to ensure the claims and repair process is as streamlined and stress-free as possible.
Contact First Aid Collision; we’ll get you fixed right up and back on the road in no time.
Stay safe this summer! Remember that your car feels the heat too, so take these easy steps to keep it in top running condition.